Saturday, June 28, 2008

Welcome



I "played with clay" on and off in college and beyond, but my true potter’s journey began when I signed up for a wheelthrowing class at Lillstreet Art Center in Chicago. I was seeking a creative outlet and distraction from my job in graphic design. Within the first 10 weeks it became obvious that coming to Lillstreet was more than a way to pass the time and meet new people. I was a potter, starting down a path I hadn’t anticipated.

For 8 years, I learned from the instructors, peers, and visiting artists who came through Lillstreet. One of the advantages of being an urban potter was the opportunity to work within a large community. The support, encouragement, and camaraderie I experienced at Lillstreet was pivotal to my development as an artist.

In April of 2003 I moved to Wisconsin’s northwoods to pursue pottery full time. I took a position at Riverrun Center for the Arts in McNaughton, Wisconsin. As Resident Artist at Riverrun, I was able to work daily in the studio, teach classes, and learn how to operate a gallery. I had intended my move “up north” to be temporary, but in the fall of 2004, this self-described “city girl” decided to make the northwoods her permanent home. I got a "day job" and eventually bought my “little blue house in the woods” on Pigeon Road in Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin.



I built my studio (Pigeon Road Pottery) in 2005. It’s a lovely space to work in – filled with mementos from my old studio & friends. I'm not a full-time potter yet, but I realize how lucky I am to be on my way. I live surrounded by incredible natural beauty and I've found a new community of artists as encouraging and supportive as those I left behind.

No comments: