Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hands over fists!

I am an Obama supporter who lives in a largely republican area of northern Wisconsin. It is hard enough driving around a place where the McCain/Palin signs outnumber the Obama/Biden signs 20 to 1. But it's even worse when your patriotism is questioned just for supporting a candidate. That's what's happening here and it's infuriating. I don't understand why some folks feel that if you don't agree with them about the Iraq war, you are no better than the terrorists who struck on 9-11. Trust me, I'm no terrorist — just a bleeding heart liberal!

My like-minded friends and I have determined it's time to be brave. And we are coming out all over the Northwoods as proud patriotic supporters of Barack Obama. Simple acts of courage are cropping up everywhere. A group of 200+ Northwoods women are listing their names in local newspapers ads supporting Obama. We are volunteering when we can. Our cars are adorned with stickers and our coats and purses covered in buttons. The Obama/Biden signs remained posted on our properties during the Northwoods Art Tour even though it could affect our art sales. It may not be much, but every little bit helps (if nothing else our morale).

So here I go. I'm coming out for Obama on my little pottery blog.

I support Barack Obama for president because I believe he is our best chance at restoring our good standing around the world. I believe he will protect our nation with honor and diplomacy first, and use military force only when justified and necessary. I'm looking for a leader who chooses a hand over a fist whenever possible. I'm looking for a leader with an open creative mind. I'm looking for a leader who will champion new ways to protect our environment and strengthen our economy. I'm looking for a leader who keeps his cool in a crisis. I'm looking for a leader who chooses a running mate (and possible successor) based on merit and qualifications — not simply as a way to pander to his base. I'm looking for a leader who motivates our young people, and who inspires action, passion and service. I believe I've found that leader in Barack Obama. I'm filled with hope for our future. Imagine that! In the beautiful words of John Lennon "you might say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Amy Higgason

3 comments:

Jerry said...

Good for you! I hope that your and your fellow supporter's efforts make a difference.

Healthy Gourmet Cafe said...

Amen, sister...

Name: Amanda said...

Yeah - from one bleeding heart liberal to another!!!

I live in rural Alaska - my opinions and thoughts are completely alien to most people in my little po-dunk town. But WHO CARES? I completely understand how you feel, but at least we aren't totally alone.

Go Obama Go! Think positive.